by Jerry Meislik
Tom Davis, OSA, wrties:
"When I purchased this tree, it was a tall broom style. My original intention was to try and make it a bunjin style tree, using one of the top branches as the apex. After wrapping and wiring the trunk and shaping it along with pruning the top, I had it at the beginning of the style. I carefully placed a large plastic over it to keep the humidity up and for a week all seemed well. The following week all the leaves began to fall off. As sometimes will happen I thought, it might be from the shock of the process, so I kept and eye on it. The next week the branches began to shrivel up, and I knew something wasn't right. I took the tree out of the bag and began to remove the wire as well as the wrap I used to protect the trunk. To my surprise, the truck had begun to rot with a cover of mold on the upper 2/3rds of it. The roots I had never touched so they were fine, but now the only thing I thought I could do to save it was do a drastic trunk chop, and so I chopped it about a half an inch below where the mold was. I sealed the chop with cut paste and hoped for the best. This was done in the middle of this past Oct.
It appears that there are 3 sprouts at the apex point. One, on the back is quite small while the other two are quite nice in size but still very immature sprouts.
If you wish a taller tree the longer apex would work.